Remodeling the studio

Remodeling the Studio

Upgrading the studio has been on my to-do list for a long time. I was running into many constraints when doing shoots.

  • As my photography projects grew, I needed a better way to separate my shooting scenarios to better utilize the space when shooting with professional models. Having to quickly tear down and set up the next scene became too time consuming. I also had 2 locations my projects were being stored, the studio and the garage. Which entailed moving my lights from one area to the other to shoot.
  • With only a 10,000 watt portable air/heating unit. It struggled keeping the place cool during the hot summer months. It was time to upgrade the unit.
  • My digital photo/video library was growing faster than I was able to keep up. Before the remodel, all my images were kept on external hard drives. I had a total of 3 x 4-bay drives attached to my studio through USB3 ports. There was no redundancy or back ups if one of the drives failed. My photo library consisted of over 370,000 photos and over 6TB of BTS videos, ranging all the way back to 2004. I needed a better way to store and protect my data.
  • I have way too many props. Currently there are 4 military style foot lockers filled with props to include guns, costumes, fish nets, masks...etc.
  • When I first started out, working with non-traveling models, they would have a limited selection of outfits with them. I would usually acquire outfits for models to shoot in that better fit my projects. Over time, it became difficult to manage, wash and maintain. These days most models travel with outfits.

So for the past 2 months, I worked on resolving the above issues to best streamline my photography process and better utilize my space.

Skills

  • Dry wall
  • Painting
  • Wood working
0

First steps...remodel the studio.

I had a platform where I did my "Seen Below" project. These were shot on a platform custom built to hold a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2 inch tempered glass. The platform was 6 feet high and most of my shoots were me rolling along the floor with an under car roller.

Tempered glass used for Seen Below project

Tempered glass used for Seen Below project

Image of glass and platform taking up half of the garage.

Tempered glass used for Seen Below project 1

Tempered glass used for Seen Below project

Close up of the glass used in "Seen Below" project.

Tempered glass used for Seen Below project 2

Tempered glass used for Seen Below project 2

1/2" tempered glass

This platform was taking up about half of the garage. I needed to get it transferred to the studio. Here is what I did to get the glass into the studio.

  • Extended the shelf, which was used for storage, to now hold the glass.
  • Add additional bracing to ensure safety and stability.
  • Rerouted some electrical wiring, to include lights and outlets.
  • Patch holes, drywall, tape and mud.
Subtle Shades Studio remodel

Image of ladder re-purposed

Image of how the old ladder was used to get onto the new platform in the studio.

Image of the view from beneath the glass platform

Image of view from beneath the glass platform

After mudding, taping, and painting, seen from below.

Image of all computer equipment removed for the remodel

Image of all computer equipment removed for the remodel

Image of studio without the computer equipment.

Image of studio slowing coming together

Image of studio slowing coming together

Old portable AC unit removed. Slowly adding equipment back.

Image of view underneath glass facing computer work station.

Image of view underneath glass facing computer work station.

Image of work station where editing equipment used to be.

Ladder to use as height reference

Image of ladder to show height of platform

Ladder to use as height reference

Image of finished bracing used to hold the glass

Image of finished bracing used to hold the glass

In order to hold the glass 2'x6's were run the length of the studio.

Image of 2'x6' studs used to brace the weight of the floor

Image of 2'x6' studs used to brace the weight of the floor

The best way to brace the floor was to add 2'x6'x16' studs to run the length of the studio.

Image of bracing the 2'x6' stud to the wall

Image of bracing the 2'x6' stud to the wall

Bracing was added to the wall studs to ensure the 2'x6' were mounted and secure.

Image of installation of 2'x6' on the other side

Image of installation of 2'x6' on the other side

Image of installation of 2'x6' on the other side

Once the holes were patched, drywall repaired and mudding was completed. I worked on painting the room. Seeing the finished painted room was such a relief. Here is the room with most of the computer equipment added back. Now to go through the equipment to get rid of what I don't need to keep in here. That will be for another post.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.